Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Pathetic Christmas Tree


My favorite time of year is between Thanksgiving and the middle of January. My favorite Holiday is Christmas. Not because I get anything; although that used to be the only reason. It is more about the warmth, the decorations, but most of all about Jesus.
Every year we have had a Christmas tree in our home. The last 2 years we have traveled to California for the holidays, but I still made sure that the house was decorated because when we returned we'd still have the decorations for a few more weeks. A tree is a tradition in our family. We can express ourselves through how we decorate. I am a theme type person and have done red white and blue, the beach theme to match our living room, crosses, and snowflakes. I make a point to buy my children an ornament for each year so that they have a complete set when they start their journey on their own into this world.

Yesterday, Pastor Ish Mora spoke about the gift of Christmas. It was then that I realized that the reason I love the tree so much is because of it's significance in my life. Jesus is new life, he died on a cross made from wood and a star led the wise men to him. An angel told Joseph to flee with his family so that Herod would not kill Jesus. It's like a worship station for Jesus. Although the gifts we put under the tree aren't usually for Him.

So this year we were not going to do a tree at all. We decided that we would save the money to donate to World Vision. We weren't going to be home to enjoy it, our new little pup would destroy it and I wasn't sure I would have time to decorate it before we left. Then my husband came home with a tree that was cut down to prepare for a new road up in the mountains while he was on a hike. Now this tree was very pathetic at first glance. Okay, at every glance. The tree stand weighs more. We took out the ornaments and after hanging just a few, realized it was too weak for anything more to hang from its branches. No lights. Our Angel would not sit on top. So this year we jokingly called our tree the most Pathetic of all. Some say it looks like a Charlie Brown Tree, I don't know, I have never seen that one.

I was so excited when we arrived at the Mora's for our Christmas Holiday. In the living room stands a beautiful, green tree. Decorated with beautiful colors and lit with thousands of lights for all to see. On top (touching the ceiling) is a star. The tree stands tall, proud of it's strength. In the tree, Erika has carefully set cards and photos of friends and family, those who she loves and cares for.

Compare both trees. The pathetic one has nothing to give back to us, it is to weak for much of anything but its own branches. This thought leads me into a time of reflection. How does the world see me? Have I received God's Gift of salvation and become a light for others, let others in, standing tall to the heavens? My prayer is that our family will be a blessing to those around us. That we may be a light to world when all the decorations and trees are put away.
Merry Christmas,
Heather

Comments

Popular Posts